ABB Launches Next Generation Central Inverter With Cooling CapabilitiesDate:2019-05-17 04:43:58 Posted by:LT.Yang View:98
ABB's enhanced PVS980-58 central inverter was showcased at Europe's largest solar event, underlining ABB's portfolio of pioneering solar solutions
The PVS980-58 central inverter, which was shortlisted for the Intersolar Award 2019, delivers high-power capabilities with 1500V. It enables one of the highest DC/AC ratios up to 2.5, with power levels up to 5,000kVA at 690VAC, for EPCs, developers and end users.
This advanced inverter can also be delivered as an integrated solution of a plug and play compact skid PVS980-CS or pad mounted solution, PVS980-MVP, with all major components matched from the ABB portfolio. The new solution houses all electrical equipment needed to rapidly and effortlessly connect the solar plant to any medium-voltage (MV) grid in the world, up to 10MVA with the PVS980-MVP.
It also features a unique hybrid cooling concept based on two-phase thermosiphon (patented) and forced air-cooling technology to provide high efficiency and low auxiliary power losses. The central inverter creates optimum performance and high uptime to the grid, while improved lifetime and reliability are guaranteed as stress on components is reduced through effective cooling and automatic fan speed control.
Giampiero Frisio, Head of ABB's Smart Power Business line explains: “We are very excited to launch one of the largest, state-of-the-art central inverters in the market.
“Drawing on unrivalled expertise gained over 50 years in the industrial power conversion market, ABB is proud to have developed one of the most efficient, sustainable and cost-effective central inverters available. The unique approach to inverter design and technology ensure that PVS980-58 delivers high performance, increased uptime and long lifetime with reduced maintenance for large PV power plants of the future.”
Combined with proven components, a compact and modular design, and full lifecycle services from ABB, the PVS980-58 reduces the overall system cost and Levelized Cost for Energy (LCOE).
As a durable central inverter with built-in features, it has been designed to deliver a safe and high performing product with advanced software functionality enabled by ABB Ability and capabilities to support greater grid stability.
Further features of the PVS980-58 include:
- High performing inverter output power giving more than double output, compared to previous generation models to achieve one of the industry's highest power rated inverters as a part of a highly compact plug and play power block
- ABB patented 3-level ANPC (Active Neutral Point Clamping) topology - modulating up to 1500VDC to de-liver high efficiency with no voltage derating at high altitudes
- Proprietary ABB Framework modelling environment to create accurate and easy to update ‘digital twin' simulation models, supporting higher penetration of renewable energy to grid due to predictable behavior of the system even before connection
- Dual layer galvanized steel and aluminum enclosure and corrosion resistive frame to protect internal components over the lifetime of the inverter, even in direct sunlight. It also offers excellent protection against high wind and is arc proofed
-Inverter is sand dust tested and has high ingress protection of IP55 and UL Type 3R, including particulate filtering and environmental options for use in extreme locations
- It delivers a sustainable and ecological solution converting direct current into high quality and CO2 free alternating current, while increased power density reduces the amount of waste by up to 35 percent during the lifecycle of the PV system. Due to its long design lifetime, further environmental advantages are gained as fewer component changes are required, thereby reducing the number of raw materials used and presenting a sustainable option
- Single low-voltage (LV) winding connection to transformer in 5 MW power block level, delivering savings on MV side BOS costs.
At Intersolar, ABB will also showcase additional solutions for the solar power industry which focus on delivering continuous operation, higher reliability and return on investment, enabling customers to take full advantage of savings by adopting 1500VDC and 800VAC technologies.
ABB will highlight its sun-to-socket solutions on Stand B2.210. Visitors will experience the future of solar energy and take advantage of intelligent control through several digitalization tools which will also be on show to deliver the next generation solar power plant technologies.